Why is protecting our skin from the sun important?
Luckily we have been enjoying warm sunny spring days, and that is why it is important to make sun protection an important part of your daily skincare routine. This applies to men too as recent studies have found that men are less likely to apply sunscreen than women. Most damage to the skin is a result of sun exposure on a daily basis from the normal activities that we do during the day. This is why it is so important to wear sun protection all year round to make sure our skin is protected from the harmful UV rays from the sun.
Tips for protecting your skin all year round
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays even if it’s cloudy
- Use titanium dioxide-based sunscreens that reflect the sun’s rays away from your skin.
- Apply and reapply sunscreen to exposed areas every 1.5-2 hours.
- Protect your lips with a lip balm that contains an SPF of at least 15
- Try and stay out of the sun between 10 am – 4 pm
- Cover up, wear sunglasses, protect your shoulders and face, wear a hat!
- Be careful that some medications can you more sensitive to the sun, read the labels
- As a skincare therapist, my go-to sunscreen is Environs Alpha Day lotion SPF 15 which has the added benefit of AHAs which help to smooth and polish the skin whilst providing excellent UV protection.
The Sunshine Vitamin
We have all been in lockdown for the last couple of months and sun exposer to our skin is an important way to maintain healthy Vitamin D levels.
Why is Vitamin D important?
Vitamin D regulates the absorption of calcium and phosphate levels in our body. These minerals are important for healthy bones, teeth, muscles and immune system functions. It also plays an essential role in our overall health and well-being.
As well as sunshine, Vitamin D can be found in salmon, sardines, eggs yolks, mushrooms, soy milk, fortified cereals, milk, and orange juice.
Enjoying the weather and being outside is important for our health and well-being, but make sure you don’t forget to protect your skin and apply your sunscreen!